Thomas M. Root
Thomas (Tom) is an experienced bankruptcy attorney and litigator with over 30 years of experience. He served his country as a helicopter (Huey) pilot in Viet Nam, and as a Military Intelligence Officer. Over his thirty years of being a licensed attorney in Texas he has represented several thousand clients including businesses and individuals in many areas of law. He now concentrates his efforts on assisting bankruptcy, family law, and probate clients.
After working with the Office of the Attorney General for the State of Texas, Child Support Division in El Paso and Houston, he returned to private practice of law in the Galveston and Clear Lake area in 2002. Prior to that Tom practiced law in the Beaumont Area.
Tom is a member of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, Houston Association of Bankruptcy Attorneys, the State Bar of Texas, the Houston Bar Association and Galveston Bar Association.
Tom is counsel of record on over 500 bankruptcy cases currently pending in the Houston and Galveston Divisions of the Southern District of Texas, as well as several hundred family, probate and civil cases in Houston, Texas and surrounding counties.
- Successfully handled complex
- Probate and
- Civil Litigation cases
Tom can help if:
- You have a pending foreclosure
- Someone is suing you or attempting to collect on credit card or loans
- You have had a repossession or foreclosure and the creditor is attempting to collect the balance
- Your personal or small business finances need to be reorganized
- You have I.R.S. or other taxes you are unable to pay
- You have personal debts that you are unable to pay as they become due
- You have debt collectors who are ruining your life.
Areas of Practice
- Consumer Bankruptcy
- Chapter 13
- Chapter 7
- Bankruptcy Modification
- Bankruptcy Conversion
- Credit Card Suits
- Texas, 1981
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Texas
- St. Mary's University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas
- J.D. - 1980
- University of Houston
- B.S. - 1974
- Major: Speech
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, Member
- Houston Association of Debtor Attorneys, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Galveston Bar Association, Member
Thomas M. Root is not certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization